Family TimeThe week passed by so fast, its already #foodiemonday #bloghop day. Our 33rd theme is #rice. When the theme was decided, I bought the ingredients to make a coconut rice pudding. But during the course of the week the rice was not used for the pudding but for vadas. When family visits, its food, food and more food. Its been really nice to have my dad, kaka, kaki and foi here. In between going out and having long chatting sessions, I try to cook something. I decided to make vadas as I wanted to make a quick but satisfying snack. Accompanied with a coconut chutney, this snack is perfect to take the edge off the nail biting Twenty 20 cricket matches that are going on right now, to serve as breakfast, or as a side dish for a lunch or dinner. This is going to be a very short post as I have to rush out in a while.
Makes approx 24
For the vadas :
2 cups cooked rice
½ cup finely chopped onion
¼ cup chopped coriander (dhania)
2 tbsp chickpea flour (besan, chana flour)
1-2 green chillis, finely chopped
1 tsp ginger paste
1 sprig curry leaves
¼ tsp soda bicarbonate (baking soda)
1¼ -1½ tsp salt
¼ cup chopped cashew nuts (kaju)
½ -1 tsp coarse pepper powder
a generous pinch of asafoetida (hing)
¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
For the coconut chutney:
1 cup fresh grated coconut
¼ cup chopped coriander
10-12 mint leaves
1-2 green chillis
½ tsp salt
1 tsp ginger paste
¼-⅓ cup water
oil for deep frying
Preparation of the vadas :
- Put the cooked and cold rice in a bowl and mash it up lightly.
- Chop the curry leaves finely.
- Add all the ingredients to the rice and mix well.
- Wet your hands with water and take about a tablespoonful of the mixture and form a ball. Flatten it slightly.
- Heat the oil over medium heat till it is hot. To test, add a small piece of the rice mixture into the oil. It should come up immediately.
- Fry the vadas 5-6 at a time over medium heat till it is light golden in colour. Remember to turn them over in the oil frequently so they brown evenly.
- Serve hot vadas with a chutney of your choice or the coconut chutney.
Preparation of the chutney :
Put all the ingredients for the chutney in a blender and blitz for a few minutes.
- When you wet your hands with water, its easy to roll the vadas.
- Can use leftover rice.
- If the rice is too soft, you may need more flour.
- Adjust the spices according to your taste.
You may want to check out the following :
|green chilli bhajia|
Sending this recipe for the following event :