Tuesday, 5 May 2015

501. yogurt cashew nut potato curry

I am missing Star Plus!

   Yes, I am. I love watching the series on Star Plus. Suddenly our cable provider decided to not air the Star channels from 1st May. Obviously its a way to get more money and that too from the Asian viewers. Though I don't watch, actually watch all of them, I have the telly on while I am blogging, checking mail, doing my sudoku , crossword etc. Its like following the stories without actually paying much attention to the series. I watch Yeh Hai Mohabbatein, Yeh rishta, and Diya aur Baati hum attentively. So for now missing the series.. okay, do try and catch them on the internet, that's if the connection is good. I pity all those retired and old people who have been following these series and suddenly have nothing to watch, nothing to talk about and nothing to speculate about. I sometimes wonder why the sports channels, children channels, Nigerian channels etc are suddenly stopped? Its amazing how cable providers can remove programs without asking the viewers. However, are we going to be compensated for the programs suddenly taken off air... no way! I think its time we pay only for what we watch. I can't remember the last time I watched a sports challenge because they obviously to not air cricket matches or the more famous football matches. I don't watch children or Nigerian channels. So when will cable providers ever give us that choice...pay for what you watch??
   Today's recipe is a simple but quite rich potato curry. I love potato and yogurt combination. Every time I use to make potato with yogurt, the taste would be there but the yogurt would get all curdled up. Today I decided to make it in a different way and loved it. Hope you like it too. Am sure kids too will love this curry.

Share your thoughts :
Do you get irritated with your cable provider when they decide to take some programs off the air without prior notice?










YOGURT CASHEW NUT POTATO CURRY
4 servings

For the masala :

1 tsp fennel seeds (valiyari)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp coriander seeds (dhana)
1 tbsp sesame seeds (tal)
2 tbsp poppy seeds (khus khus)
1" cinnamon stick (taj)
4-6 cloves
8-10 pepper corns
½ tsp cardamom seeds (elachi)
½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
½ tsp oil

For the curry :

500 g potatoes, boiled, peeled 
¼ cup cashew nuts
1 cup thick yogurt
1½ tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp green chilli paste
2 tbsp garlic paste
½ cup water
2-3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander

Preparation of the masala :

  1. Heat oil in a small pan over low heat.
  2. Add all the spices and seeds except for turmeric powder and cardamom seeds.
  3. Stir constantly and roast the masala till the poppy seeds turn light pink and the sesame seeds begin to pop.
  4. Take the pan off the heat and let the masala cool down a bit.
  5. Grind the masala into a powder.
Preparation of the curry :
  1. Cut the potatoes into chunks.
  2. Roast the cashew nuts lightly and grind into a coarse powder.
  3. Whisk the yogurt till its smooth.
  4. Heat oil in a saucepan over low heat.
  5. Add garlic, chilli and ginger paste and stir fry till the garlic is light pink in colour.
  6. Add the ground masala. Stir for 30 seconds.
  7. Add the cashew nut powder and salt. Mix well.
  8. Stirring constantly, add yogurt. Keep on stirring till the gravy becomes a bit thick.
  9. Add the potatoes and water.
  10. Let the curry simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Don't forget to stir it occasionally.
  11. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with rice, rotis, parathas or naan.
Tips :
  • I used baby potatoes for this curry. You can use any potatoes of your choice.
  • If you don't have poppy seeds, you can prepare the masala without it.
  • Adjust the spices according to your taste.
  • Don't forget to add salt before you add the yogurt otherwise the yogurt will curdle.
  • Also it is important to whisk the yogurt to smooth consistency.
  • Stirring the gravy after adding the yogurt is important to prevent it from curdling.
You may want to check out the following :
brinjal  potato shaak
sukhi bhaji

Sending this recipe to the following event :








5 comments:

  1. looks very delicious and curry looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe has come at a perfect time as one of my friends is allergic to tomatoes but loves curry!! Now I can make this one!! As for the cable .....for some reason Star plus is still free in UK but not sure for how long. They are also offering all the Movie channels and Asian channels just for an extra £5.00 a month!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious potato curry I am going to make it, I don't have any cable channels,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rich n tasty curry to have it vth roti

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg....its like ditto. I was so addicted to serials on star plus that i finally decided to cancel my asian channels subscription...i missed of for 4 weeks and now i am ok :) I sometimes see YRKH and YHM on desi-tashan ;)
    Dahiwala aloo is all time favorite :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.

Tuesday, 5 May 2015

501. yogurt cashew nut potato curry

I am missing Star Plus!

   Yes, I am. I love watching the series on Star Plus. Suddenly our cable provider decided to not air the Star channels from 1st May. Obviously its a way to get more money and that too from the Asian viewers. Though I don't watch, actually watch all of them, I have the telly on while I am blogging, checking mail, doing my sudoku , crossword etc. Its like following the stories without actually paying much attention to the series. I watch Yeh Hai Mohabbatein, Yeh rishta, and Diya aur Baati hum attentively. So for now missing the series.. okay, do try and catch them on the internet, that's if the connection is good. I pity all those retired and old people who have been following these series and suddenly have nothing to watch, nothing to talk about and nothing to speculate about. I sometimes wonder why the sports channels, children channels, Nigerian channels etc are suddenly stopped? Its amazing how cable providers can remove programs without asking the viewers. However, are we going to be compensated for the programs suddenly taken off air... no way! I think its time we pay only for what we watch. I can't remember the last time I watched a sports challenge because they obviously to not air cricket matches or the more famous football matches. I don't watch children or Nigerian channels. So when will cable providers ever give us that choice...pay for what you watch??
   Today's recipe is a simple but quite rich potato curry. I love potato and yogurt combination. Every time I use to make potato with yogurt, the taste would be there but the yogurt would get all curdled up. Today I decided to make it in a different way and loved it. Hope you like it too. Am sure kids too will love this curry.

Share your thoughts :
Do you get irritated with your cable provider when they decide to take some programs off the air without prior notice?










YOGURT CASHEW NUT POTATO CURRY
4 servings

For the masala :

1 tsp fennel seeds (valiyari)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp coriander seeds (dhana)
1 tbsp sesame seeds (tal)
2 tbsp poppy seeds (khus khus)
1" cinnamon stick (taj)
4-6 cloves
8-10 pepper corns
½ tsp cardamom seeds (elachi)
½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
½ tsp oil

For the curry :

500 g potatoes, boiled, peeled 
¼ cup cashew nuts
1 cup thick yogurt
1½ tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp green chilli paste
2 tbsp garlic paste
½ cup water
2-3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander

Preparation of the masala :

  1. Heat oil in a small pan over low heat.
  2. Add all the spices and seeds except for turmeric powder and cardamom seeds.
  3. Stir constantly and roast the masala till the poppy seeds turn light pink and the sesame seeds begin to pop.
  4. Take the pan off the heat and let the masala cool down a bit.
  5. Grind the masala into a powder.
Preparation of the curry :
  1. Cut the potatoes into chunks.
  2. Roast the cashew nuts lightly and grind into a coarse powder.
  3. Whisk the yogurt till its smooth.
  4. Heat oil in a saucepan over low heat.
  5. Add garlic, chilli and ginger paste and stir fry till the garlic is light pink in colour.
  6. Add the ground masala. Stir for 30 seconds.
  7. Add the cashew nut powder and salt. Mix well.
  8. Stirring constantly, add yogurt. Keep on stirring till the gravy becomes a bit thick.
  9. Add the potatoes and water.
  10. Let the curry simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Don't forget to stir it occasionally.
  11. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with rice, rotis, parathas or naan.
Tips :
  • I used baby potatoes for this curry. You can use any potatoes of your choice.
  • If you don't have poppy seeds, you can prepare the masala without it.
  • Adjust the spices according to your taste.
  • Don't forget to add salt before you add the yogurt otherwise the yogurt will curdle.
  • Also it is important to whisk the yogurt to smooth consistency.
  • Stirring the gravy after adding the yogurt is important to prevent it from curdling.
You may want to check out the following :
brinjal  potato shaak
sukhi bhaji

Sending this recipe to the following event :








Pin It

5 comments:

  1. looks very delicious and curry looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe has come at a perfect time as one of my friends is allergic to tomatoes but loves curry!! Now I can make this one!! As for the cable .....for some reason Star plus is still free in UK but not sure for how long. They are also offering all the Movie channels and Asian channels just for an extra £5.00 a month!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious potato curry I am going to make it, I don't have any cable channels,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rich n tasty curry to have it vth roti

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg....its like ditto. I was so addicted to serials on star plus that i finally decided to cancel my asian channels subscription...i missed of for 4 weeks and now i am ok :) I sometimes see YRKH and YHM on desi-tashan ;)
    Dahiwala aloo is all time favorite :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.