Tuesday, 14 October 2014

440. Ghee kera

Nami's banana nu shaak!

  In the Gujarati language there is a saying 'ena ghar ma ghee keda chhe', meaning that that person is pretty much well off, wealth wise. When I was growing up, Saturday would be the day of the week that along with the usual full lunch of dal, shaak, rotli and bhaat, we would have some sweet dish like shrikhand, lapsi, meethi sev or ghee kera. When my kids were growing up, I would give them ghee kera often with roti but on the condition that they would also eat the vegetable we had made. My daughter Nami called it banana nu shaak. After the kids left home, I don't make it that often but today I made some. Brought back fond memories of my childhood and my kids. After the ghee kera would be all over, my mum or dad would put hot kadhi in the bowl, swirl it around and then add it to the rice. It tasted so sweet and yummy. 
  Its a quick fix when you crave for something sweet and go on try and bribe your kids with it, the way I use to. I could eat ghee kera without any other vegetables with roti or on its own. Are you still wondering what I am talking about? Okay lets get to the recipe. Its the most easiest recipe. The reason I am posting this recipe is to share it with you all and hope you and family love it just the way ours did and still do.



GHEE KERA 
Serves 4

4 large bananas
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter) the liquid part


  1. Peel the bananas. Cut into slices which are not too thin or too thick.
  2. Add the sugar and ghee and mix it.
  3. Serve with hot rotis.
Tips:
  • My mum use to add more ghee. You can add more or less, whichever you prefer.
  • Don't use over ripe bananas otherwise the mixture will become mushy.
You may want to check out the following:

shrikhandSending this recipe for the following event:


Spice your Life

4 comments:

  1. Delicious Mayuri, we make it as prasad during poojas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...sounds good.. i can have it like a salad:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple and yet so delicious..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.

Tuesday, 14 October 2014

440. Ghee kera

Nami's banana nu shaak!

  In the Gujarati language there is a saying 'ena ghar ma ghee keda chhe', meaning that that person is pretty much well off, wealth wise. When I was growing up, Saturday would be the day of the week that along with the usual full lunch of dal, shaak, rotli and bhaat, we would have some sweet dish like shrikhand, lapsi, meethi sev or ghee kera. When my kids were growing up, I would give them ghee kera often with roti but on the condition that they would also eat the vegetable we had made. My daughter Nami called it banana nu shaak. After the kids left home, I don't make it that often but today I made some. Brought back fond memories of my childhood and my kids. After the ghee kera would be all over, my mum or dad would put hot kadhi in the bowl, swirl it around and then add it to the rice. It tasted so sweet and yummy. 
  Its a quick fix when you crave for something sweet and go on try and bribe your kids with it, the way I use to. I could eat ghee kera without any other vegetables with roti or on its own. Are you still wondering what I am talking about? Okay lets get to the recipe. Its the most easiest recipe. The reason I am posting this recipe is to share it with you all and hope you and family love it just the way ours did and still do.



GHEE KERA 
Serves 4

4 large bananas
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter) the liquid part


  1. Peel the bananas. Cut into slices which are not too thin or too thick.
  2. Add the sugar and ghee and mix it.
  3. Serve with hot rotis.
Tips:
  • My mum use to add more ghee. You can add more or less, whichever you prefer.
  • Don't use over ripe bananas otherwise the mixture will become mushy.
You may want to check out the following:

shrikhandSending this recipe for the following event:


Spice your Life
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Delicious Mayuri, we make it as prasad during poojas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...sounds good.. i can have it like a salad:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple and yet so delicious..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.