Wednesday, 9 July 2014

415. rajgira shiro/ halwa

Ekadashi

   Once in a while Ekadashi dates confuse all the Hindus. One such Ekadashi is the Devshayani Ekadashi which was on 8th and 9th July this year.Some observed the fasting on 8th and some on the 9th. Shayani literally means sleeping. Its believed that on this Maha Ekadashi ( great eleventh), Devpodhi or Devshayani Ekadashi Vishnu falls asleep on the Sheshnag (cosmic serpent) in the cosmic ocean of milk. Its believed that Vishnu sleeps during the four holy months of Chaturmas. This holy period coincides with the rainy season. It also signifies the beginning of penance, rituals, poojas, parikramas and making a conscious effort to advance oneself in the religion aspect. That does not mean that during the rest of the year, one does not practice all this. Its just that more attention is given towards religious progress. To read more about this Ekadashi go to this site.
   Fasting is a way to discipline the body and mind. It will take me a while to discipline both. I usually start off the Ekadashi morning with a promise to myself that I will not indulge in all the goodies, but the foodie in me gets the better hold on my mind. By the time the day ends I probably have feasted more than usual. Well till I do a fast without much indulgence, I will strive to try and try till I succeed. In that respect my hubby dear is a much more disciplined person than I am. Discipline has to be constantly worked on and nothing should come in the way - excuses, weaknesses or the heart. The month for me begins with some sort of pact and a zeal to exercise at least 6 times in a week. I barely reach the 4th day and the pact is broken. Getting up early, legs are hurting, got too much work, etc etc. I know taking those little steps makes a resolution stronger, but why do I falter on the way? Does that make me a weak person? Why is it that once I take up a task, I see it through till the end but when it comes to my body I am weak? 
 Well, lets hope I become stronger by taking baby steps and improve my discipline. Till then I would like to share with you a recipe for rajgira (rajagro or amaranth flour) shiro or halwa.  Amaranth is a gluten free, protein rich seed. The seeds are ground into flour and used in bread, cookies, cereals, pasta etc. The seeds can be popped and eaten. Rajgira flour is a common ingredient used to prepare Ekadashi or fasting food. 





RAJGIRA SHIRO/ HALWA
Serves 4

½ cup rajgira (rajagro or amaranth) flour
1½ cup milk
⅓ cup sugar
½ tsp aniseeds (valiyari)
¼ tsp ginger powder
½ tsp cardamom powder
2 tbsp almond and pistachio slices
4 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)

  1. Put milk and sugar in a pan and heat the milk. Stir it occasionally till the sugar melts. Bring it to a boil.
  2. Heat the ghee in a pan over low heat.
  3. Add the flour and aniseeds.  Stir constantly till it turns light brown in colour. This will take about 5 to 6 minutes. Initially, the flour may appear dry but as it gets cooked, it will become runny.
  4. Add the milk while stirring the flour.
  5. Keep on stirring till the sheera becomes thick. It is done when the mixture comes away from the sides of the pan and forms a big lump.
  6. Add the cardamom and ginger powders and mix well.
  7. Garnish with the nut slices or slivers and serve hot.
Tips:
  • Be careful when you add the hot milk to the flour mixture. Lot of steam will be released. Its best to pour the milk at the edge of the pan instead of the middle.
  • I added ginger powder and aniseed to give this sheera a different taste. You can add only cardamom of you wish.
  • Roast the flour over low heat. 
  • Don't get tempted to add more ghee if the flour appears dry. Once it cooks, the flour mixture will become runny. 
  • I took  3 tbsp of the liquid part of the ghee and one of the solidified part.
You may want to check out the following:

quick pedas
banana fig apricot smoothie

Sending this recipe for the following event:


4 comments:

  1. Never add adu and variyali in sheera. Must be tasted awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mayuri, these flavours are new to me in sheera, must have given a completely different dimension to it. Thanks for linking it to ONLY GLUTEN FREE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time here...... Lovely recipes!!!
    Rajgira halwa looks yumm and tasty!! Do visit my blog also

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rajgira halwa looks alluring, love to have it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.

Wednesday, 9 July 2014

415. rajgira shiro/ halwa

Ekadashi

   Once in a while Ekadashi dates confuse all the Hindus. One such Ekadashi is the Devshayani Ekadashi which was on 8th and 9th July this year.Some observed the fasting on 8th and some on the 9th. Shayani literally means sleeping. Its believed that on this Maha Ekadashi ( great eleventh), Devpodhi or Devshayani Ekadashi Vishnu falls asleep on the Sheshnag (cosmic serpent) in the cosmic ocean of milk. Its believed that Vishnu sleeps during the four holy months of Chaturmas. This holy period coincides with the rainy season. It also signifies the beginning of penance, rituals, poojas, parikramas and making a conscious effort to advance oneself in the religion aspect. That does not mean that during the rest of the year, one does not practice all this. Its just that more attention is given towards religious progress. To read more about this Ekadashi go to this site.
   Fasting is a way to discipline the body and mind. It will take me a while to discipline both. I usually start off the Ekadashi morning with a promise to myself that I will not indulge in all the goodies, but the foodie in me gets the better hold on my mind. By the time the day ends I probably have feasted more than usual. Well till I do a fast without much indulgence, I will strive to try and try till I succeed. In that respect my hubby dear is a much more disciplined person than I am. Discipline has to be constantly worked on and nothing should come in the way - excuses, weaknesses or the heart. The month for me begins with some sort of pact and a zeal to exercise at least 6 times in a week. I barely reach the 4th day and the pact is broken. Getting up early, legs are hurting, got too much work, etc etc. I know taking those little steps makes a resolution stronger, but why do I falter on the way? Does that make me a weak person? Why is it that once I take up a task, I see it through till the end but when it comes to my body I am weak? 
 Well, lets hope I become stronger by taking baby steps and improve my discipline. Till then I would like to share with you a recipe for rajgira (rajagro or amaranth flour) shiro or halwa.  Amaranth is a gluten free, protein rich seed. The seeds are ground into flour and used in bread, cookies, cereals, pasta etc. The seeds can be popped and eaten. Rajgira flour is a common ingredient used to prepare Ekadashi or fasting food. 





RAJGIRA SHIRO/ HALWA
Serves 4

½ cup rajgira (rajagro or amaranth) flour
1½ cup milk
⅓ cup sugar
½ tsp aniseeds (valiyari)
¼ tsp ginger powder
½ tsp cardamom powder
2 tbsp almond and pistachio slices
4 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)

  1. Put milk and sugar in a pan and heat the milk. Stir it occasionally till the sugar melts. Bring it to a boil.
  2. Heat the ghee in a pan over low heat.
  3. Add the flour and aniseeds.  Stir constantly till it turns light brown in colour. This will take about 5 to 6 minutes. Initially, the flour may appear dry but as it gets cooked, it will become runny.
  4. Add the milk while stirring the flour.
  5. Keep on stirring till the sheera becomes thick. It is done when the mixture comes away from the sides of the pan and forms a big lump.
  6. Add the cardamom and ginger powders and mix well.
  7. Garnish with the nut slices or slivers and serve hot.
Tips:
  • Be careful when you add the hot milk to the flour mixture. Lot of steam will be released. Its best to pour the milk at the edge of the pan instead of the middle.
  • I added ginger powder and aniseed to give this sheera a different taste. You can add only cardamom of you wish.
  • Roast the flour over low heat. 
  • Don't get tempted to add more ghee if the flour appears dry. Once it cooks, the flour mixture will become runny. 
  • I took  3 tbsp of the liquid part of the ghee and one of the solidified part.
You may want to check out the following:

quick pedas
banana fig apricot smoothie

Sending this recipe for the following event:


Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Never add adu and variyali in sheera. Must be tasted awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mayuri, these flavours are new to me in sheera, must have given a completely different dimension to it. Thanks for linking it to ONLY GLUTEN FREE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time here...... Lovely recipes!!!
    Rajgira halwa looks yumm and tasty!! Do visit my blog also

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rajgira halwa looks alluring, love to have it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.