Happy Valentine's Day
|Image courtesy of Ohmega1982 / FreeDigitalPhotos.net|
Happy Valentine's day and go on make it special. I baked these cookies for Valentine's day and still need to decide on a special menu for tomorrow.
BEETROOT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Makes about 40 to 42 cookies
recipe adapted from veggiedesserts.co.uk
1 cup cooked and diced beetroot
1 cup plain flour
3⅓ cup oats
1½ tsp baking powder
1 cup chocolate chips
100g (½ cup) soft butter
¼ tsp salt
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp grated orange rind /zest
1 tbsp flaxseed powder
3 tbsp water
¼ cup water
extra butter for greasing the tray
extra water in a bowl for rolling the batter
- Peel and boil or steam about 2 medium beetroots. Dice it and measure out 1 cup.
- Puree the beetroot in a food processor or a liquidizer. If you use the liquidizer, add the ¼ cup water.
- Mix flax seed powder and 3 tbsp water and leave it till required.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Sieve the flour with salt and baking powder.
- Add the oats and chocolate chips. Mix it well.
- In a big bowl add the butter and both the sugars. Cream the mixture till it is smooth and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract, grated orange rind, flaxseed mixture, pureed beetroot and water (if you did not use it to process the beetroot). Mix it.
- Add the flour mixture. Mix it well.
- Grease the baking trays.
- Wet your hands a bit and roll about a tablespoonful of the batter.
- Place it on the baking tray and flatten it slightly.
- Repeat steps 11 and 12 with the remaining batter. Place the rolled batter an inch apart.
- Bake in the hot oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven. Leave the cookies on the tray for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove them from the tray and place them on a wire rack to cool.
- Serve with tea, coffee or milk.
- These cookies are not like the regular crispy crunchy type. They have a cake like texture because of the amount of oats used and the quantity of butter is less.
- If you find them too soft, then leave them in the oven at 150°C for 15 minutes.
- You can use 1 egg instead of the flaxseed and water.
You may want to check out the following:
|double chocolate brownie cookies|
|chocolate thumbprint cookies|
|beetroot red velvet muffins|
sending this recipe to the following event: