finally got it right!I had come across many tomato bread recipes but most of them used sun dried tomatoes. Now getting them here is a bit of a problem and I cannot make my own batch as I live in an apartment and we hardly get any direct sunlight. I had come across a recipe that used tomato puree and tried it. The end result was a disaster as the dough became too soft and the bread didn't get the nice warm orangy colour. The second time round I used less water in anticipation that the dough would become soft and gooey but the bread texture was not right and the colour was as though I had baked a brown and white bread. The trail for a perfect tomato bread was put on a halt for a while till I made soup for dinner last night and baked bread. The bread that came to my mind was tomato bread and this time round the bread turned out perfect and delicious. I didn't use any fresh tomato puree or sun dried tomatoes but used tomato paste.... yes that thick paste that comes in a tube, can, carton etc. I added it to my normal bread recipe and got a perfect flavour of tomato along with the basil and cheese.
TOMATO CHEDDAR BREAD
3 cups plain flour /all purpose flour/ bread flour
1 cup warm water
2¼ tsp dry instant yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp dried basil
¼ cup tiny cheddar cheese cubes
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp tomato paste
extra flour for dusting
extra oil for greasing
- Put the flour in a big bowl. Add yeast,sugar, dried basil and salt to it and mix well.
- Add oil and tomato paste to the flour and mix well.
- Add the warm water and make a dough.
- Knead the dough for 10 to 15 minutes or use the kneading machine.
- Lightly oil the bowl and make the dough into a ball. Rub oil over it.
- Place the dough in the bowl and cover it with a cling film or plastic sheet.
- Place the dough in a warm place. Let it rise till its double the size. This will take about 2 to 2½ hours.
- Dust a board or worktop very lightly with flour. Place the dough on it and knead it gently for a few seconds.
- Add the cheese cubes and fold gently.
- Grease a loaf tin (9X5 inch) or a round tin (9 inch tin) with oil.
- Place the dough in the prepared tin.
- Cover it with cling or plastic sheet and let the dough rise again for 1 to 1½ hours or till its double the size.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Gently brush the top with extra olive oil or milk.
- Place the risen dough in the oven to bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- When you tap the top, the bread should sound hollow if its done.
- Place the loaf on a wire rack to cool.
- Serve with soup or use it to make sandwiches.
- Make the dough into any shape you like.
- Add sliced olives if you like.
- Use a cheese of your choice.
- Can add pine nuts.
- Knead the dough well till it is smooth. For the kneading technique check out this recipe.
You may want to check out the following:
|Turkish flatbread (pide)|
sending this recipe for the following event: