your dose of Vitamin ADid you know that pumpkin is full of Vitamin A and potassium? Its low on fat, sodium and full of fiber.It belongs to the gourd family and is not really considered a vegetable. Pumpkins are widely used in USA and Canada during Halloween and Thanks giving day. Pumpkins are harvested in October and used for making breads, desserts, side dishes, cakes, muffins, soup etc. The list is endless. During my visit to Canada last fall, we saw numerous pumpkins placed outside on the porch, on window sills and in the garden. The sizes ranged from tiny ones to gigantic ones all carved with candles in them. Its a beautiful sight in the evenings. I had the opportunity to have pumpkin bread which tasted heavenly.
Here in Kenya, pumpkin is used to make curries, or cooked with kale and coconut or cooked into a dry vegetable to accompany a meat dish.
I got a tiny pumpkin and decided to make soup with it. The bread can wait for a bit. I am glad that the pumpkin was not too sweetish. I decided to add salsa to the soup just before serving it as on its own, my hubby dear did not find it appetizing. Adding the salsa balanced the taste and made the texture interesting.
ROASTED PUMPKIN AND SALSA SOUP
For the soup:
4 - 6 garlic cloves
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 tsp coarse black pepper
¾ - 1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 small onion
For the salsa:
¼ cup finely chopped onion
½ cup finely chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
2 tbsp chopped spring onion 1 tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp salt
¼-½ tsp red chilli powder
Preparation of the soup:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cut the pumpkin into half and place it in an oven tray with the cut side facing up.
- Peel and cut the onion into chunks and add to the pumpkin.
- Peel the garlic and add to the pumpkin.
- Sprinkle herbs, salt, pepper and cumin seeds over the mixture.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Place the tray in the oven and let the pumpkin roast for 30 to 40 minutes or till it is done and soft.
- Scoop out the pumpkin and put it in the blender.
- Process the mixture.
- Pour the soup into a pan and heat it over medium heat.
- Serve topped with salsa.
Preparation of the salsa:
- Mix all the ingredients for the salsa in a bowl.
- Add tablespoonful of the salsa to the soup and serve.
You may want to check out the following:
|roasted butternut squash soup|