easily bakedTurkish flatbread or turkish pide is a flatbread bread which is healthy and can be accompanied with practically anything. Have it with a curry, soup, make it into a sandwich, top it with your favourite topping. Let your imagination run wild. Its a chewy bread which can be shaped into a rectangle or oval shape and sprinkled with sesame and nigella seeds. Turkish flatbread is baked on a stone or clay slab but I baked it in a normal oven tray.Its also topped with cheese, vegetables, meat etc and baked much like a pizza as a quick meal. I served this bread with soup. The left over tasted great with tea the next day.
TURKISH FLATBREAD (PIDE)
3⅓ cups strong plain flour (bread flour, all purpose flour)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp dry, instant yeast
¾ cup warm milk
½ cup warm water
1 tsp olive oil for greasing the tray
little oil for rubbing over the dough
extra flour for sprinkling
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp nigella seeds
little milk or egg wash
- Add salt, sugar and yeast to the flour and mix it.
- Mix milk and water together.
- Form a dough using the milk water mixture.
- Sprinkle a bit of flour on the work top and knead the dough for 10 to 15 minutes till it is smooth and silky. Form the dough into a round ball.
- Rub oil all over the dough and the bowl.
- Place the dough in the bowl. Cover it with cling film and place it in a warm place.
- Let the dough rise for 1½ to 2 hours or till it is double the size.
- Knead the dough again gently for a few seconds.
- Grease a tray with 1 tsp olive oil.
- Place the dough on the tray (14"X 10") and using your fingers spread it into a thin layer.
- Let the dough rise again for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Brush milk or egg wash over it.
- Sprinkle the sesame and nigella seeds all over the dough.
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes or till the top is light golden brown.
- Take the bread out of the oven and let it cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Serve it warm.
- Shape the dough into an oval or into 2 smaller rectangles.
- I used black sesame seeds also.
- Egg wash is 2 tbsp of liquid, either milk or water added to an egg and mixed.
You may want to check out the following:
|whole wheat pita bread|
Sending this recipe for the following event: