Saturday, 8 June 2013

283.yummy corn snack

Easy snack

Sweet corn is in season at the moment. I bought the sweet corn with the intention to boil the cobs and take out the kernels and freeze them for using in a variety of dishes right from soups, pastas, salads to parathas. Its a much better option than using canned ones. Not saying I don't use the canned ones, I do but whenever I can, I prefer to use the fresh ones. About 3 to 4 cobs yielded quite a bit of kernels. Some went in making soups and some in a salad. Yesterday was a wet rainy day and I had a sudden craving to have buttered corn. You know the type we get at movie theatres in India or are sold in the malls. There is a corn stand at the Broadwalk mall in Edgware, and you can smell the buttered corn for miles. I had  hot corn for the first time at the PVR cinema in Bangalore, some years back. However what I don't like about them is the limited options you have.... corn with salt and pepper or with red chilli powder or flakes, or with chaat masala. What if you want salt and pepper and chilli? Usually not possible unless the person making the corn is sweet and sympathetic. Yesterday, I made some for myself with whatever I wanted in it. A good snack to have when you are really hungry and its not too full of calories as you can adjust the amount of butter used. 



YUMMY CORN SNACK
2 Servings

2 cups cooked corn kernels
2 tsps butter
1 to 2 tsp pepper powder
½ tsp salt
½ to 1 tsp red chilli powder or chilli flakes
1 to 2 tsp lemon juice

  1. Heat the butter in a pan.
  2. When it melts, add the corn and stir.
  3. When the corn becomes hot add the salt, pepper, lemon juice and chilli flakes or powder.
  4. Mix well and serve immediately.
Tips:
  • Add chaat masala instead pepper and chillis.
  • Add finely chopped mint or basil if you like.
You may want to check out the following:

no bake granola bars

salted roasted peanuts
masala bread
Sending this recipe for the following event:


Anitha's Kitchen Diary
Priya's Versatile Recipes





Citrus spice and all things nice

2 comments:

  1. Oooooh! Now I can make it at home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes nami, its not difficult at all.If you want a quick snack, open canned corn or use frozen corn.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.

Saturday, 8 June 2013

283.yummy corn snack

Easy snack

Sweet corn is in season at the moment. I bought the sweet corn with the intention to boil the cobs and take out the kernels and freeze them for using in a variety of dishes right from soups, pastas, salads to parathas. Its a much better option than using canned ones. Not saying I don't use the canned ones, I do but whenever I can, I prefer to use the fresh ones. About 3 to 4 cobs yielded quite a bit of kernels. Some went in making soups and some in a salad. Yesterday was a wet rainy day and I had a sudden craving to have buttered corn. You know the type we get at movie theatres in India or are sold in the malls. There is a corn stand at the Broadwalk mall in Edgware, and you can smell the buttered corn for miles. I had  hot corn for the first time at the PVR cinema in Bangalore, some years back. However what I don't like about them is the limited options you have.... corn with salt and pepper or with red chilli powder or flakes, or with chaat masala. What if you want salt and pepper and chilli? Usually not possible unless the person making the corn is sweet and sympathetic. Yesterday, I made some for myself with whatever I wanted in it. A good snack to have when you are really hungry and its not too full of calories as you can adjust the amount of butter used. 



YUMMY CORN SNACK
2 Servings

2 cups cooked corn kernels
2 tsps butter
1 to 2 tsp pepper powder
½ tsp salt
½ to 1 tsp red chilli powder or chilli flakes
1 to 2 tsp lemon juice

  1. Heat the butter in a pan.
  2. When it melts, add the corn and stir.
  3. When the corn becomes hot add the salt, pepper, lemon juice and chilli flakes or powder.
  4. Mix well and serve immediately.
Tips:
  • Add chaat masala instead pepper and chillis.
  • Add finely chopped mint or basil if you like.
You may want to check out the following:

no bake granola bars

salted roasted peanuts
masala bread
Sending this recipe for the following event:


Anitha's Kitchen Diary
Priya's Versatile Recipes





Citrus spice and all things nice
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Oooooh! Now I can make it at home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes nami, its not difficult at all.If you want a quick snack, open canned corn or use frozen corn.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.