Wednesday, 5 June 2013

281. spinach and baby corn soup

Pretty filling


Have you ever jotted down recipes from a book, magazine, internet etc thinking that you will make it like yesterday and never got down to it? I have and not just a few recipes, but loads of them which tend to disappear among the many pages of my recipe book or are used as book markers. Jotting down the recipes is not a bad thing you might think, but what if you have not noted down the method? While going through the recipe, I had not noted down the method, thinking that oh I know how its done and I am going to make it soon. The method may remain fresh in you head for a few days but not years! One such recipe is the spinach and baby corn soup. The method was missing and some of the ingredients I couldn't read as the page had become all smudgy. However I had baby corn and I just wanted to make it into a soup. Once an idea comes into my head, I cannot see an alternative as I get fixated to the original idea. This definitely does not make me a versatile candidate for Master Chef! So, getting back to the recipe, read cornflour, stock, spinach so made a soup which I hope you will love. Do I have to mention again that it is a simple recipe?



SPINACH AND BABY CORN SOUP
6 Servings

1½ cups of sliced baby corn (approx 12 to 16)
1 cup roughly chopped spinach
½ cup sliced onion (approx 1 medium one)
3 tbsp cornflour 
3½ cups water or stock
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
2 tbsp oil
1 to 1¼ tsp salt
2 fresh or dry red chillis (slice the chillis if using fresh. Snap the dry ones into two pieces)

  1. Mix cornflour with a ¼ cup of water.
  2. Heat oil in a deep pan over medium heat. 
  3. When it is hot add the onion and garlic and stir fry it for a minute or so.
  4. Add the red chillis and sliced baby corn.
  5. Stir fry for a minute or so and add the water or stock. Add salt.
  6. Let the soup come to a gentle boil. While stirring the soup, add the cornflour mixture. Keep on stirring it till the soup thickens. 
  7. Let it simmer over low heat till the corn is just cooked but not overcooked.
  8. Add the chopped spinach and let it cook for 2 minutes or so and serve.
  9. Serve the soup with some soy sauce and chilli sauce.
Tips:
  • You can add pepper and other spices if you like. 
  • If you using ready made stock, add salt accordingly.
  • Add other vegetables if you like like celery. 
Sending this recipe for the following event:



Anitha's Kitchen Diary
Priya's Versatile Recipes


You may want to check out the following:

momo soup
sweet corn and mushroom soup

mexican vegetable soup


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Mayuri thanks for linking this for my evnet. Please share my facebook page at your facebook account and tag 5 friends.:)
    Looking forward to see many entries

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.

Wednesday, 5 June 2013

281. spinach and baby corn soup

Pretty filling


Have you ever jotted down recipes from a book, magazine, internet etc thinking that you will make it like yesterday and never got down to it? I have and not just a few recipes, but loads of them which tend to disappear among the many pages of my recipe book or are used as book markers. Jotting down the recipes is not a bad thing you might think, but what if you have not noted down the method? While going through the recipe, I had not noted down the method, thinking that oh I know how its done and I am going to make it soon. The method may remain fresh in you head for a few days but not years! One such recipe is the spinach and baby corn soup. The method was missing and some of the ingredients I couldn't read as the page had become all smudgy. However I had baby corn and I just wanted to make it into a soup. Once an idea comes into my head, I cannot see an alternative as I get fixated to the original idea. This definitely does not make me a versatile candidate for Master Chef! So, getting back to the recipe, read cornflour, stock, spinach so made a soup which I hope you will love. Do I have to mention again that it is a simple recipe?



SPINACH AND BABY CORN SOUP
6 Servings

1½ cups of sliced baby corn (approx 12 to 16)
1 cup roughly chopped spinach
½ cup sliced onion (approx 1 medium one)
3 tbsp cornflour 
3½ cups water or stock
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
2 tbsp oil
1 to 1¼ tsp salt
2 fresh or dry red chillis (slice the chillis if using fresh. Snap the dry ones into two pieces)

  1. Mix cornflour with a ¼ cup of water.
  2. Heat oil in a deep pan over medium heat. 
  3. When it is hot add the onion and garlic and stir fry it for a minute or so.
  4. Add the red chillis and sliced baby corn.
  5. Stir fry for a minute or so and add the water or stock. Add salt.
  6. Let the soup come to a gentle boil. While stirring the soup, add the cornflour mixture. Keep on stirring it till the soup thickens. 
  7. Let it simmer over low heat till the corn is just cooked but not overcooked.
  8. Add the chopped spinach and let it cook for 2 minutes or so and serve.
  9. Serve the soup with some soy sauce and chilli sauce.
Tips:
  • You can add pepper and other spices if you like. 
  • If you using ready made stock, add salt accordingly.
  • Add other vegetables if you like like celery. 
Sending this recipe for the following event:



Anitha's Kitchen Diary
Priya's Versatile Recipes


You may want to check out the following:

momo soup
sweet corn and mushroom soup

mexican vegetable soup


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Mayuri thanks for linking this for my evnet. Please share my facebook page at your facebook account and tag 5 friends.:)
    Looking forward to see many entries

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.