Monday, 13 May 2013

264.tea bread

time to have tea

My son's future in-laws visited us last week from France. It was their first trip to Kenya and we were meeting for the first time. So obviously my hubby and I were a bit nervous and were wondering how we would get along. Language would have been a bit of a probable but as soon as they came out of the arrival terminal, we met and instantly all the barriers disappeared. It was like we have known them for years. Language was not a problem as Dominique spoke good English and Monique understood quite a bit. On our part, I need to really gain more confidence in speaking French. They arrived in the afternoon and I knew that after a long journey they would need a good cup of tea or coffee and some snack. I decided to make a tea bread. The minute I googled tea bread, I got this yummy, easy recipe. I was looking more for a zucchini, pineapple or chocolate banana tea bread or any other but this tea bread sounded good. Again, I browsed through a few, put a few ingredients from here and there and came up with this version. Everyone loved the tea bread and it actually tasted even better the next day as it gives the spices time to really 'work' and enhance the flavour.

TEA BREAD
 8 to 10 slices

1 cup cold black tea
1¼ cups dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, sultanas, blueberries, mixed peel etc)
1½ cups self raising flour
½ cup sugar
1 large egg beaten
2 tbsp orange marmalade
1 tsp mixed spice or tea masala

  1. Soak the dried fruit in the black tea overnight or till the fruit plumps up.
  2. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
  3. Combine flour, sugar and mixed spices in a big bowl.
  4. Add the marmalade, beaten egg and the fruit along with the remaining black tea.
  5. Mix the mixture well.
  6. Grease a loaf tin (9X5 inches). Dust it with some flour.
  7. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
  8. Bake the bread for 1 hr or till it is done. Insert a toothpick or a fork into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, then the bread is ready.
  9. Remove the bread from the tin and let it cool for a while on a wire rack.
  10. Slice the bread and serve with some butter, marmalade or honey.
Tips :
  • Take any dried fruit you like but the total amount should be about 1¼ cups.
  • Make your mixed spice by combining cinnamon, clove, ginger and cardamom powder.
  • ready made tea masala is readily available in most supermarkets and Indian grocery stores.
  • I didn't have any orange marmalade so I used ginger and orange jam. It worked fine for me.
You may want to check out the following :


eggless coconut pineapple banana bread

eggless banana walnut bread

2 comments:

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.

Monday, 13 May 2013

264.tea bread

time to have tea

My son's future in-laws visited us last week from France. It was their first trip to Kenya and we were meeting for the first time. So obviously my hubby and I were a bit nervous and were wondering how we would get along. Language would have been a bit of a probable but as soon as they came out of the arrival terminal, we met and instantly all the barriers disappeared. It was like we have known them for years. Language was not a problem as Dominique spoke good English and Monique understood quite a bit. On our part, I need to really gain more confidence in speaking French. They arrived in the afternoon and I knew that after a long journey they would need a good cup of tea or coffee and some snack. I decided to make a tea bread. The minute I googled tea bread, I got this yummy, easy recipe. I was looking more for a zucchini, pineapple or chocolate banana tea bread or any other but this tea bread sounded good. Again, I browsed through a few, put a few ingredients from here and there and came up with this version. Everyone loved the tea bread and it actually tasted even better the next day as it gives the spices time to really 'work' and enhance the flavour.

TEA BREAD
 8 to 10 slices

1 cup cold black tea
1¼ cups dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, sultanas, blueberries, mixed peel etc)
1½ cups self raising flour
½ cup sugar
1 large egg beaten
2 tbsp orange marmalade
1 tsp mixed spice or tea masala

  1. Soak the dried fruit in the black tea overnight or till the fruit plumps up.
  2. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
  3. Combine flour, sugar and mixed spices in a big bowl.
  4. Add the marmalade, beaten egg and the fruit along with the remaining black tea.
  5. Mix the mixture well.
  6. Grease a loaf tin (9X5 inches). Dust it with some flour.
  7. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
  8. Bake the bread for 1 hr or till it is done. Insert a toothpick or a fork into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, then the bread is ready.
  9. Remove the bread from the tin and let it cool for a while on a wire rack.
  10. Slice the bread and serve with some butter, marmalade or honey.
Tips :
  • Take any dried fruit you like but the total amount should be about 1¼ cups.
  • Make your mixed spice by combining cinnamon, clove, ginger and cardamom powder.
  • ready made tea masala is readily available in most supermarkets and Indian grocery stores.
  • I didn't have any orange marmalade so I used ginger and orange jam. It worked fine for me.
You may want to check out the following :


eggless coconut pineapple banana bread

eggless banana walnut bread
Pin It

2 comments:

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.