Friday, 1 February 2013

219. jambu banana smoothie

let's go purple

Jambu or jamun season in Kenya is in full swing at the moment. Like the red plums, the season is very short. I came back home with nearly half a kilo of the jambus and both my daughter and husband, stated as a matter of fact that they don't like them! I had them all to myself. Tongue gets all fuzzy and purple, but I love the fruit. Oh, sorry I am not talking about jamun as in the gulab jamun but jamun the fruit. You know the purple black berry like fruits grown in India, Kenya and many parts of south east Asia. Note the word berry like.... they are not black berries. The actual word is jambul. It is known by many names, jamun,jambool, java plum, black plum, damson plum, jambu etc. They grow on an evergreen tree. The fruit is slightly sweet, mildly sour and astringent. According to Hindu mythology, Lord Rama ate lots of jambu during his 14 year exile. Jambuls are a rich source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, iron and several minerals like magnesium, potassium, etc. Natural Ice Cream parlour in India make the best Jamun ice cream. I am craving for the ice cream but will have to wait till my next trip to India and that too during the jambu season. In the meantime, I will have to do with the lovely smoothie I prepared for myself.



JAMBU BANANA SMOOTHIE
For 1

½ to ¾  cup jambu pulp without the seeds
¾ cup very cold milk
½ banana
2 to 3 ice cubes crushed
  1. Put all the ingredients into the blender and whizz it for a few minutes.
  2. Pour the smoothie into a tall glass and enjoy.
Tips :
  • Add sugar or honey of you wish.
  • If you use frozen banana, then you do not need the ice cubes.
  • The addition of banana makes it into a filling and thick smoothie.
You may want to check out the following:
mango orange smoothie
banana watermelon smoothie
Sending this recipe for the following event:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.

Friday, 1 February 2013

219. jambu banana smoothie

let's go purple

Jambu or jamun season in Kenya is in full swing at the moment. Like the red plums, the season is very short. I came back home with nearly half a kilo of the jambus and both my daughter and husband, stated as a matter of fact that they don't like them! I had them all to myself. Tongue gets all fuzzy and purple, but I love the fruit. Oh, sorry I am not talking about jamun as in the gulab jamun but jamun the fruit. You know the purple black berry like fruits grown in India, Kenya and many parts of south east Asia. Note the word berry like.... they are not black berries. The actual word is jambul. It is known by many names, jamun,jambool, java plum, black plum, damson plum, jambu etc. They grow on an evergreen tree. The fruit is slightly sweet, mildly sour and astringent. According to Hindu mythology, Lord Rama ate lots of jambu during his 14 year exile. Jambuls are a rich source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, iron and several minerals like magnesium, potassium, etc. Natural Ice Cream parlour in India make the best Jamun ice cream. I am craving for the ice cream but will have to wait till my next trip to India and that too during the jambu season. In the meantime, I will have to do with the lovely smoothie I prepared for myself.



JAMBU BANANA SMOOTHIE
For 1

½ to ¾  cup jambu pulp without the seeds
¾ cup very cold milk
½ banana
2 to 3 ice cubes crushed
  1. Put all the ingredients into the blender and whizz it for a few minutes.
  2. Pour the smoothie into a tall glass and enjoy.
Tips :
  • Add sugar or honey of you wish.
  • If you use frozen banana, then you do not need the ice cubes.
  • The addition of banana makes it into a filling and thick smoothie.
You may want to check out the following:
mango orange smoothie
banana watermelon smoothie
Sending this recipe for the following event:


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.