Thursday, 15 November 2012

200. santra basundi (tangerine kheer)

two hundredth recipe

The task of putting up 366 recipes has not been easy. It is already mid November and have only blogged 199 and this one will be the 200th one. Oh well, all I can say is if I do not manage to fulfill the task by the end of the year, am not going to worry too much as my blogging will continue. I have enjoyed the support and reviews from all of you. Though only 24 have chosen to become members, I know a lot more people are visiting my blog. However, this is not a popularity contest, so I will continue to do what I enjoy, and that is sharing recipes with you. 
Since the 200th recipe has fallen around the Diwali period, I have chosen to share my Santra Basundi recipe with you. I still don't know why we have to make doodh pak or kheer on Kali Chaudas day. I have followed the tradition for years. This year I decided to make basundi which is actually a more thicker and creamier version of doodh pak. I added sweet santra or tangerine instead of the traditional rice.



SANTRA BASUNDI (TANGERINE KHEER)
4 servings

1 litre full fat milk
4 tbsps sugar
4 tbsps grated mawa or condensed milk
1 cup tangerine segments with the membrane and white part removed
¼ tsp saffron
½ tsp cardamom powder
¼ tsp nutmeg powder
2 tbsps almond flakes
1 tbsp pistachio flakes

  1. Put the milk in a deep saucepan and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer till its nearly half the quantity. At this stage it appear creamish in colour. 
  2. Add the sugar and mawa or condensed milk. Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
  3. Let the mixture cool down a bit. Whisk it with a hand blender to make it into a smooth mixture.
  4. Add saffron, cardamom and nutmeg powder. Mix and let it become cold.
  5. Add the tangerine segments.
  6. Put the basundi in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours.
  7. Decorate with the almond and pistachio flakes and serve.
Tips :
  • If you are using sweet condensed milk, reduce the amount of sugar you use.
  • For a much creamier consistency add ½ cup fresh cream when the basundi is cold.
  • Instead of tangerine, add pomegranate, grapes or berries. 
  • I prefer using a non stick pan for kheers. The milk does not get burnt easily.
Sending this recipe for the following event:

Only Diwali treats


2 comments:

  1. oh that is so new to me.. looks so soothing and delicious!!! Thanks for sending this yummy recipe to my event.. Looking for more yummy recipes...

    Sowmya

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy and delicious kheer...Hi 1st time here,happy to follow you..do visit my blog when you are free :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.

Thursday, 15 November 2012

200. santra basundi (tangerine kheer)

two hundredth recipe

The task of putting up 366 recipes has not been easy. It is already mid November and have only blogged 199 and this one will be the 200th one. Oh well, all I can say is if I do not manage to fulfill the task by the end of the year, am not going to worry too much as my blogging will continue. I have enjoyed the support and reviews from all of you. Though only 24 have chosen to become members, I know a lot more people are visiting my blog. However, this is not a popularity contest, so I will continue to do what I enjoy, and that is sharing recipes with you. 
Since the 200th recipe has fallen around the Diwali period, I have chosen to share my Santra Basundi recipe with you. I still don't know why we have to make doodh pak or kheer on Kali Chaudas day. I have followed the tradition for years. This year I decided to make basundi which is actually a more thicker and creamier version of doodh pak. I added sweet santra or tangerine instead of the traditional rice.



SANTRA BASUNDI (TANGERINE KHEER)
4 servings

1 litre full fat milk
4 tbsps sugar
4 tbsps grated mawa or condensed milk
1 cup tangerine segments with the membrane and white part removed
¼ tsp saffron
½ tsp cardamom powder
¼ tsp nutmeg powder
2 tbsps almond flakes
1 tbsp pistachio flakes

  1. Put the milk in a deep saucepan and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer till its nearly half the quantity. At this stage it appear creamish in colour. 
  2. Add the sugar and mawa or condensed milk. Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
  3. Let the mixture cool down a bit. Whisk it with a hand blender to make it into a smooth mixture.
  4. Add saffron, cardamom and nutmeg powder. Mix and let it become cold.
  5. Add the tangerine segments.
  6. Put the basundi in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours.
  7. Decorate with the almond and pistachio flakes and serve.
Tips :
  • If you are using sweet condensed milk, reduce the amount of sugar you use.
  • For a much creamier consistency add ½ cup fresh cream when the basundi is cold.
  • Instead of tangerine, add pomegranate, grapes or berries. 
  • I prefer using a non stick pan for kheers. The milk does not get burnt easily.
Sending this recipe for the following event:

Only Diwali treats


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. oh that is so new to me.. looks so soothing and delicious!!! Thanks for sending this yummy recipe to my event.. Looking for more yummy recipes...

    Sowmya

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy and delicious kheer...Hi 1st time here,happy to follow you..do visit my blog when you are free :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.