Friday, 13 July 2012

114. wheat orange cookies

cookies and milk.....yummy!

I simply love baking. The cookie bug has caught up with me and I have been baking cookies nearly everyday. Don't get me wrong.... not the same recipe but different recipes which have been in my recipe book for eons. I baked some of the cookies for my relatives in Nairobi and they loved them. So here is the first recipe. Meera, bake these for your family, they are very easy. I have not taken out the cup measurement for the butter as transferring the soft butter to a cup is a messy job. I prefer to use the weighing scales for this. However, if you get 250g butter packets like we do here in Kenya, its very easy... half of that is required for the recipe. For all my local friends, I am taking orders for the cookies and muffins as I cannot bake all these goodies and have them on my own. 





WHEAT ORANGE COOKIES
Yields about 30 pieces

2¼ cups wheat flour (atta)
125g butter
1 tsp grated orange peel
½ cup sugar
½ tsp soda bicarbonate (baking soda)
½ tsp baking powder
¼ cup orange juice

  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
  2. Sieve the flour with the baking powder and soda bicarbonate.
  3. Cream  butter and sugar till it is pale in colour and fluffy.
  4. Add the orange juice and grated peel. Whisk well.
  5. Add the flour and using your hands make  a dough.
  6. Divide the dough into 30 parts or so.
  7. Roll each part into a ball. Flatten it a bit between your palms.
  8. Place on a greased baking tray.Leave half an inch gap between the cookies. Repeat steps 7 and 8 with the remaining dough.
  9. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
  10. Leave the cookies on the hot tray for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes remove them from the tray and let it cool on a wire rack.
Tips :
  • Can use brown sugar.
  • Instead of orange try lemon juice and grated lemon peel.
  • If you like, you can flatten the cookie dough using a fork. The cookies will turn out flat and not dome shaped.
  • Add ¼ cup of chopped nuts or chocolate chips.
  • Wash and grate the peel before you take out the juice. Make sure you do not grate the white part as it is bitter. Save the extra zest or grated peel and store in the freezer to use for other baking recipes or for salads.
sending this recipe for the following event:



Kachuss Delight

Cooks Joy






1 comment:

  1. Cookies look delicious, love the addition of orange peel, very flavorful and yummy.
    Thanks a lot Mayuri ji for linking it to the CWS event waiting for more delicious and lovely entiries...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.

Friday, 13 July 2012

114. wheat orange cookies

cookies and milk.....yummy!

I simply love baking. The cookie bug has caught up with me and I have been baking cookies nearly everyday. Don't get me wrong.... not the same recipe but different recipes which have been in my recipe book for eons. I baked some of the cookies for my relatives in Nairobi and they loved them. So here is the first recipe. Meera, bake these for your family, they are very easy. I have not taken out the cup measurement for the butter as transferring the soft butter to a cup is a messy job. I prefer to use the weighing scales for this. However, if you get 250g butter packets like we do here in Kenya, its very easy... half of that is required for the recipe. For all my local friends, I am taking orders for the cookies and muffins as I cannot bake all these goodies and have them on my own. 





WHEAT ORANGE COOKIES
Yields about 30 pieces

2¼ cups wheat flour (atta)
125g butter
1 tsp grated orange peel
½ cup sugar
½ tsp soda bicarbonate (baking soda)
½ tsp baking powder
¼ cup orange juice

  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
  2. Sieve the flour with the baking powder and soda bicarbonate.
  3. Cream  butter and sugar till it is pale in colour and fluffy.
  4. Add the orange juice and grated peel. Whisk well.
  5. Add the flour and using your hands make  a dough.
  6. Divide the dough into 30 parts or so.
  7. Roll each part into a ball. Flatten it a bit between your palms.
  8. Place on a greased baking tray.Leave half an inch gap between the cookies. Repeat steps 7 and 8 with the remaining dough.
  9. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
  10. Leave the cookies on the hot tray for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes remove them from the tray and let it cool on a wire rack.
Tips :
  • Can use brown sugar.
  • Instead of orange try lemon juice and grated lemon peel.
  • If you like, you can flatten the cookie dough using a fork. The cookies will turn out flat and not dome shaped.
  • Add ¼ cup of chopped nuts or chocolate chips.
  • Wash and grate the peel before you take out the juice. Make sure you do not grate the white part as it is bitter. Save the extra zest or grated peel and store in the freezer to use for other baking recipes or for salads.
sending this recipe for the following event:



Kachuss Delight

Cooks Joy






Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Cookies look delicious, love the addition of orange peel, very flavorful and yummy.
    Thanks a lot Mayuri ji for linking it to the CWS event waiting for more delicious and lovely entiries...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.