Friday, 15 June 2012

90. mushroom soup

tastes better than the packet one

  Mushroom soup is one of my favourite soups. Every time I make it, I remember the mushroom soup that was served at Driftwood in Malindi. While my family were having their choice of fish or chicken, I was not left with much of a choice. It was either vegetable curry or soups. So as the main dish, I decided to have mushroom soup and french fries. Weird combination, but better than the vegetable curry.  When my soup arrived, I was really shocked. The soup may have been a packet soup but the presentation was fantastic. A huge round bread with the top one third sliced off and the inside scooped out. The soup was in the scooped out bread, the the top slice acted as a cover. Wow! Needless to say, by the time I finished the soup and bread I was too full. My family had the french fries. I have not been served soup in this manner, anywhere else or neither have I served soup at home in this style. Perhaps I should. All you lucky people who get a variety of mushrooms, you can mix them to make soup, but I just have to use the normal button mushrooms.





MUSHROOM SOUP
Gives 4 servings

2 to 2½ cups of roughly chopped mushrooms
¼ cup chopped onion or 1 small onion
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup water or stock
1 cup milk
½ cup fresh single cream
1 tsp salt
1 tsp coarse pepper powder

For garnish :
slices of mushroom
3 tbsps whipped fresh cream
chilli flakes

  1. Heat oil in a pan. Stir fry the mushrooms, garlic and onion for about 3 to 4 minutes.
  2. Add the stock and milk and let the mixture simmer over low flame for about 5 to 10 minutes.
  3. Liquidize the mixture and put it back into the pan.
  4. Add salt, cream and gently heat the soup. Add pepper and mix.
  5. Spoon the soup into individual bowls.
  6. Put a swirl of the fresh cream, a few slices of mushrooms and sprinkle the chilli flakes on top.
Tips :
  • Garnish with fresh thyme.
  • Instead of fresh cream, just add extra quarter cup of  milk.
  • The mushrooms should not have become black otherwise the soup will be dark grey.
  • Vary the consistency of the soup according to your preference, by adding a bit more milk or stock.
You may want to check out the following :
tomato carrot soup




Sending this recipe for the following event :



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. that was one good holiday we had in Malindi. I miss Malindi.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.

Friday, 15 June 2012

90. mushroom soup

tastes better than the packet one

  Mushroom soup is one of my favourite soups. Every time I make it, I remember the mushroom soup that was served at Driftwood in Malindi. While my family were having their choice of fish or chicken, I was not left with much of a choice. It was either vegetable curry or soups. So as the main dish, I decided to have mushroom soup and french fries. Weird combination, but better than the vegetable curry.  When my soup arrived, I was really shocked. The soup may have been a packet soup but the presentation was fantastic. A huge round bread with the top one third sliced off and the inside scooped out. The soup was in the scooped out bread, the the top slice acted as a cover. Wow! Needless to say, by the time I finished the soup and bread I was too full. My family had the french fries. I have not been served soup in this manner, anywhere else or neither have I served soup at home in this style. Perhaps I should. All you lucky people who get a variety of mushrooms, you can mix them to make soup, but I just have to use the normal button mushrooms.





MUSHROOM SOUP
Gives 4 servings

2 to 2½ cups of roughly chopped mushrooms
¼ cup chopped onion or 1 small onion
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup water or stock
1 cup milk
½ cup fresh single cream
1 tsp salt
1 tsp coarse pepper powder

For garnish :
slices of mushroom
3 tbsps whipped fresh cream
chilli flakes

  1. Heat oil in a pan. Stir fry the mushrooms, garlic and onion for about 3 to 4 minutes.
  2. Add the stock and milk and let the mixture simmer over low flame for about 5 to 10 minutes.
  3. Liquidize the mixture and put it back into the pan.
  4. Add salt, cream and gently heat the soup. Add pepper and mix.
  5. Spoon the soup into individual bowls.
  6. Put a swirl of the fresh cream, a few slices of mushrooms and sprinkle the chilli flakes on top.
Tips :
  • Garnish with fresh thyme.
  • Instead of fresh cream, just add extra quarter cup of  milk.
  • The mushrooms should not have become black otherwise the soup will be dark grey.
  • Vary the consistency of the soup according to your preference, by adding a bit more milk or stock.
You may want to check out the following :
tomato carrot soup




Sending this recipe for the following event :



Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. that was one good holiday we had in Malindi. I miss Malindi.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.