Thursday, 21 June 2012

100. eggless chocolate truffle cake

a century... my 100th recipe

Cannot believe that I have actually posted 99 recipes and this one will be the 100th one. Wow! However, at the same time feeling a bit sad as its nearly the end of June and I have only 100 recipes blogged. Will I meet my target of 366? My ever optimistic daughter, Nami says I will. I rather believe her than to feel too bad. I still have loads of recipes not tested and tried or some which I need to try because I need to formulate the measurements. So obviously there is no shortage of recipes. Its just that I need to find time to try them, blog them.By blogging these recipes I have earned a new title of a  recipe developer. Many recipes that I have tried out especially from the internet, I have had to make changes. Its a challenge but one that I am thoroughly enjoying. I get very positive responses on my facebook and by emails. Wish more of you would put them on the blog. So far my blog has been reviewed 3,600 times. Very encouraging, but would love your comments too.
Since this is my 100th recipe, it had to be celebration time. So it was kucch meetha ho jai, as the advertisement goes...... don't get me wrong, its not plain chocolate but something using the Cadbury products.



EGGLESS CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE CAKE
8 to 12 slices, depending on how generous you are!

For the cake :
1½ cups plain flour
½ cup cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 cup yogurt
125g butter
1 tsp soda bi carbonate
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract

For the truffle cream :
200ml fresh cream
200g dark chocolate, break into small pieces
200g drinking chocolate

  1. Preheat the oven at 180°C.
  2. Sieve the flour, cocoa, salt and soda bicarbonate together.
  3. In another bowl cream the sugar and butter till it is light, fluffy and pale in colour.
  4. Add the essence and yogurt and mix again. 
  5. Add the flour mixture and fold in with a spatula or a spoon till all the flour has been mixed in. Do not over mix at this point as the mixture may become glutenous.
  6. Grease a round 10" or 12" cake tin. Sprinkle a bit of flour into it and move the tin around at all angles till the tin is coated with flour. Turn the tin upside down and bang it over the sink. The excess flour will come off. Or just line the tin with a greaseproof paper.
  7. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or till the cake is done. Depending on your oven, check the cake after 20 minutes. Insert a toothpick or knife into the middle. If it is not baked in the middle and is still in the batter form, then you may at this point need to lower the temperature to 150°C and bake till its done.
  8. A toothpick or knife or fork inserted in the middle of the cake should come out clean. Remove the cake from the oven. Leave it in the tin for 10 minutes. 
  9. Then remove it gently from the tin and let it cool on a wire rack. Loosen the sides with a spatula. Place the wire rack on top of the tin, using kitchen towels, flip the wire rack and tin over  using both your hands. The wire rack will be at the bottom. Place it on the counter gently. Gently tap the back of the tin to loosen the cake. Remove the tin. Or the most simplest option, using a spring form cake tin.
  10. To prepare the truffle, put the fresh cream in a thick bottomed pan. Gently heat the cream over low flame and stir constantly. 
  11. As soon as it becomes hot, add the dark chocolate. Stir till all the chocolate melts.
  12. Add the drinking chocolate and mix well.
  13. Let the truffle cool down.
  14. Make sure both the cake and truffle are cold before you start icing. 
  15. Spread the truffle all over the top and sides of the cake using a butter knife and spatula. 
  16. Garnish the top with chocolate sprinkles or chopped nuts.
  17. Put the cake in the fridge till you are ready to serve it.
Tips :
  • Cream the butter and sugar till it becomes pale in colour. It is at this stage that a lot of air is incorporated to make your cake soft and springy. When you add the flour, fold into the mixture rather than mixing it in a circular motion. This way much of the air does not get lost.
  • To make a vanilla cake, take 2 cups of plain flour. Omit cocoa powder.
  • I have not measured the drinking chocolate by cup as both in Kenya and India we get 100g sachets of cocoa and drinking chocolate.
  • I use Amul packet cream when I am in India for the truffle.
  • Can add flavouring of your choice like orange, lemon etc instead of vanilla. 
  • Before spooning the batter into the cake tin, take a huge chunk of the batter with your spoon or spatula and lift it in the air about 6 to 8 inches away from the bowl. The batter should drop easily with 5 seconds. If it doesn't then you may need to add a tbsp of milk or water. It actually depends on how  the flour is.Some flours absorb less moisture, some more.
  • As the truffle cools down, it becomes thick. 
  • If it becomes too thick, just add a tsp or so of milk.



1 comment:

  1. This one is my favourite all time chocolate-cake recipe! I'm baking it today with Yashoda for her son's birthday :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.

Thursday, 21 June 2012

100. eggless chocolate truffle cake

a century... my 100th recipe

Cannot believe that I have actually posted 99 recipes and this one will be the 100th one. Wow! However, at the same time feeling a bit sad as its nearly the end of June and I have only 100 recipes blogged. Will I meet my target of 366? My ever optimistic daughter, Nami says I will. I rather believe her than to feel too bad. I still have loads of recipes not tested and tried or some which I need to try because I need to formulate the measurements. So obviously there is no shortage of recipes. Its just that I need to find time to try them, blog them.By blogging these recipes I have earned a new title of a  recipe developer. Many recipes that I have tried out especially from the internet, I have had to make changes. Its a challenge but one that I am thoroughly enjoying. I get very positive responses on my facebook and by emails. Wish more of you would put them on the blog. So far my blog has been reviewed 3,600 times. Very encouraging, but would love your comments too.
Since this is my 100th recipe, it had to be celebration time. So it was kucch meetha ho jai, as the advertisement goes...... don't get me wrong, its not plain chocolate but something using the Cadbury products.



EGGLESS CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE CAKE
8 to 12 slices, depending on how generous you are!

For the cake :
1½ cups plain flour
½ cup cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 cup yogurt
125g butter
1 tsp soda bi carbonate
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract

For the truffle cream :
200ml fresh cream
200g dark chocolate, break into small pieces
200g drinking chocolate

  1. Preheat the oven at 180°C.
  2. Sieve the flour, cocoa, salt and soda bicarbonate together.
  3. In another bowl cream the sugar and butter till it is light, fluffy and pale in colour.
  4. Add the essence and yogurt and mix again. 
  5. Add the flour mixture and fold in with a spatula or a spoon till all the flour has been mixed in. Do not over mix at this point as the mixture may become glutenous.
  6. Grease a round 10" or 12" cake tin. Sprinkle a bit of flour into it and move the tin around at all angles till the tin is coated with flour. Turn the tin upside down and bang it over the sink. The excess flour will come off. Or just line the tin with a greaseproof paper.
  7. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or till the cake is done. Depending on your oven, check the cake after 20 minutes. Insert a toothpick or knife into the middle. If it is not baked in the middle and is still in the batter form, then you may at this point need to lower the temperature to 150°C and bake till its done.
  8. A toothpick or knife or fork inserted in the middle of the cake should come out clean. Remove the cake from the oven. Leave it in the tin for 10 minutes. 
  9. Then remove it gently from the tin and let it cool on a wire rack. Loosen the sides with a spatula. Place the wire rack on top of the tin, using kitchen towels, flip the wire rack and tin over  using both your hands. The wire rack will be at the bottom. Place it on the counter gently. Gently tap the back of the tin to loosen the cake. Remove the tin. Or the most simplest option, using a spring form cake tin.
  10. To prepare the truffle, put the fresh cream in a thick bottomed pan. Gently heat the cream over low flame and stir constantly. 
  11. As soon as it becomes hot, add the dark chocolate. Stir till all the chocolate melts.
  12. Add the drinking chocolate and mix well.
  13. Let the truffle cool down.
  14. Make sure both the cake and truffle are cold before you start icing. 
  15. Spread the truffle all over the top and sides of the cake using a butter knife and spatula. 
  16. Garnish the top with chocolate sprinkles or chopped nuts.
  17. Put the cake in the fridge till you are ready to serve it.
Tips :
  • Cream the butter and sugar till it becomes pale in colour. It is at this stage that a lot of air is incorporated to make your cake soft and springy. When you add the flour, fold into the mixture rather than mixing it in a circular motion. This way much of the air does not get lost.
  • To make a vanilla cake, take 2 cups of plain flour. Omit cocoa powder.
  • I have not measured the drinking chocolate by cup as both in Kenya and India we get 100g sachets of cocoa and drinking chocolate.
  • I use Amul packet cream when I am in India for the truffle.
  • Can add flavouring of your choice like orange, lemon etc instead of vanilla. 
  • Before spooning the batter into the cake tin, take a huge chunk of the batter with your spoon or spatula and lift it in the air about 6 to 8 inches away from the bowl. The batter should drop easily with 5 seconds. If it doesn't then you may need to add a tbsp of milk or water. It actually depends on how  the flour is.Some flours absorb less moisture, some more.
  • As the truffle cools down, it becomes thick. 
  • If it becomes too thick, just add a tsp or so of milk.



Pin It

1 comment:

  1. This one is my favourite all time chocolate-cake recipe! I'm baking it today with Yashoda for her son's birthday :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.