Sunday, 20 May 2012

59. beetroot tomato soup

remembering Alsisar

   This year around the 2nd week of February, my hubby had a medical conference in Jaipur. So we decided to combine his conference and my 50th birthday celebration together. We stayed at this very quaint, small haveli called Alsisar. I fell in love with the place and we were treated like royalty by the staff. On our first day, we were served with beetroot tomato soup. Initially I did screw my nose, but decided to have it as I was feeling cold. The first spoon in my mouth and the soup tasted heavenly. Couldn't believe it tasted so good. The next few days I had the soup again for lunch but didn't manage to get the recipe from the chef. Madam just take a few tomatoes and beetroot and make the soup. Well after much research on the internet I put the ingredients from various recipes together and came up with this version.
updated :11/05/2016





BEETROOT TOMATO SOUP
Serves 4

3 big tomatoes chopped finely
1 medium beetroot peeled and chopped finely (I got 1 cup)
½ cup finely chopped onion
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic
½ tsp cinnamon powder
¼ tsp clove powder
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper powder
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp ginger
handful of mint leaves
1 tsp cumin powder
2 ½ cups water

for garnishing:
1 tbsp roasted cumin seeds
2 tbsp fresh cream, coconut cream or crumbled feta cheese
  1. Heat butter in a pan over low heat.
  2. Add beetroot, carrot, tomato, onion, garlic and ginger.
  3. Stir the vegetables and cover the pan with a lid. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
  4. Add ½ cup water. Mix well.
  5. Cook till the vegetables are tender.
  6. Cool the mixture and liquidize it in a blender or food processor.
  7. Put the puree in a pan. Add  cumin, clove, cinnamon and pepper powder. Simmer over low heat till it becomes hot. If it is too thick, water it down a little bit.
  8. Garnish with cream or feta cheese and roasted cumin seeds. 
  9. Serve with toast or garlic bread.
Tips:
  • If you prefer you can a generous pinch of red chilli powder or chilli flakes.
  • Instead of mint can add any italian seasoning.
  • I was served soup with naan and it tastes good.
You may want to check out the following:
beetroot tomato juice





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.

Sunday, 20 May 2012

59. beetroot tomato soup

remembering Alsisar

   This year around the 2nd week of February, my hubby had a medical conference in Jaipur. So we decided to combine his conference and my 50th birthday celebration together. We stayed at this very quaint, small haveli called Alsisar. I fell in love with the place and we were treated like royalty by the staff. On our first day, we were served with beetroot tomato soup. Initially I did screw my nose, but decided to have it as I was feeling cold. The first spoon in my mouth and the soup tasted heavenly. Couldn't believe it tasted so good. The next few days I had the soup again for lunch but didn't manage to get the recipe from the chef. Madam just take a few tomatoes and beetroot and make the soup. Well after much research on the internet I put the ingredients from various recipes together and came up with this version.
updated :11/05/2016





BEETROOT TOMATO SOUP
Serves 4

3 big tomatoes chopped finely
1 medium beetroot peeled and chopped finely (I got 1 cup)
½ cup finely chopped onion
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic
½ tsp cinnamon powder
¼ tsp clove powder
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper powder
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp ginger
handful of mint leaves
1 tsp cumin powder
2 ½ cups water

for garnishing:
1 tbsp roasted cumin seeds
2 tbsp fresh cream, coconut cream or crumbled feta cheese
  1. Heat butter in a pan over low heat.
  2. Add beetroot, carrot, tomato, onion, garlic and ginger.
  3. Stir the vegetables and cover the pan with a lid. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
  4. Add ½ cup water. Mix well.
  5. Cook till the vegetables are tender.
  6. Cool the mixture and liquidize it in a blender or food processor.
  7. Put the puree in a pan. Add  cumin, clove, cinnamon and pepper powder. Simmer over low heat till it becomes hot. If it is too thick, water it down a little bit.
  8. Garnish with cream or feta cheese and roasted cumin seeds. 
  9. Serve with toast or garlic bread.
Tips:
  • If you prefer you can a generous pinch of red chilli powder or chilli flakes.
  • Instead of mint can add any italian seasoning.
  • I was served soup with naan and it tastes good.
You may want to check out the following:
beetroot tomato juice





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.