Wednesday, 4 January 2012

4. vaghareli rotli

remembering my mum

     My mum was a very good cook where traditional gujarati dishes were concerned. I can't remember her ever wanting to try out the new western dishes like pizza, tacos, burgers etc. I think she left that to my kaki and me to try out during the weekends. I will at a later stage include recipes that I learnt from my mum but for today I have to mention her most famous dish.... vaghareli rotli. My mum made the best vaghareli rotli. This  simple dish is a popular meal in our household. All of us have tried to make it like mums but there is still something missing. I think its simply the love that she added. Everyone from us siblings to my cousins loved it when my mum made it. Vaghareli rotli can be a snack time meal tasting yummy when sprinkled with a bit of chevdo, bhusu or sev or it can be a wholesome but light dinner meal. The following recipe  is for 2 as a meal, for 4 as a snack and God save you if you have to share it with my brother, Nimesh! Its his all time favourite meal on this earth. If he is around, you ain't getting any! 

updated :06/05/2016









VAGHARELI ROTLI

6-8 left over wheat flour rotlis (not the ready made ones if they are made from plain flour)
1 cup of sour yogurt
2 to 3 cups of water ( depends on how liquidy you like it)
1 tbsp oil
4 cloves of garlic, cut into thin slices
1 tsp ginger paste
1/2 to 1 tsp of green chilli paste or 2-3 whole chillis( depends on how chilli you like it)
¾ -1 tsp salt
3 tbsp of chopped fresh coriander
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
a generous pinch of asafoetida (hing)
  1. Put oil in a saucepan and let it get a bit hot over medium flame. 
  2. In the meantime tear the rotlis into pieces.
  3. When the oil is ready, add mustard  and cumin seeds to it. When the mustard seeds crackle, add the chopped garlic. Stir fry till it turns a bit pink. 
  4. Add the chilli and ginger paste. Add the turmeric powder and hing.
  5. Quickly add the rotli pieces. Mix well.
  6. Add the salt and water. Mix. Let it come to a gentle boil.
  7. Add the yogurt and stir well. 
  8. Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve.
Tips: 
  • When you make rotlis, store the left over in the freezer. When you have a sufficient quantity, make a quick snack. 
  • Instead of chilli paste can use chopped chillis, about 1 or 2.
  • For a more creamier consistency, use more yogurt.
You may want to check out the following:
mum's soup
Sending this recipe for the following events:



cook with leftovers - Full Scoops and Cooks Joy



simply food



1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.

Wednesday, 4 January 2012

4. vaghareli rotli

remembering my mum

     My mum was a very good cook where traditional gujarati dishes were concerned. I can't remember her ever wanting to try out the new western dishes like pizza, tacos, burgers etc. I think she left that to my kaki and me to try out during the weekends. I will at a later stage include recipes that I learnt from my mum but for today I have to mention her most famous dish.... vaghareli rotli. My mum made the best vaghareli rotli. This  simple dish is a popular meal in our household. All of us have tried to make it like mums but there is still something missing. I think its simply the love that she added. Everyone from us siblings to my cousins loved it when my mum made it. Vaghareli rotli can be a snack time meal tasting yummy when sprinkled with a bit of chevdo, bhusu or sev or it can be a wholesome but light dinner meal. The following recipe  is for 2 as a meal, for 4 as a snack and God save you if you have to share it with my brother, Nimesh! Its his all time favourite meal on this earth. If he is around, you ain't getting any! 

updated :06/05/2016









VAGHARELI ROTLI

6-8 left over wheat flour rotlis (not the ready made ones if they are made from plain flour)
1 cup of sour yogurt
2 to 3 cups of water ( depends on how liquidy you like it)
1 tbsp oil
4 cloves of garlic, cut into thin slices
1 tsp ginger paste
1/2 to 1 tsp of green chilli paste or 2-3 whole chillis( depends on how chilli you like it)
¾ -1 tsp salt
3 tbsp of chopped fresh coriander
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
a generous pinch of asafoetida (hing)
  1. Put oil in a saucepan and let it get a bit hot over medium flame. 
  2. In the meantime tear the rotlis into pieces.
  3. When the oil is ready, add mustard  and cumin seeds to it. When the mustard seeds crackle, add the chopped garlic. Stir fry till it turns a bit pink. 
  4. Add the chilli and ginger paste. Add the turmeric powder and hing.
  5. Quickly add the rotli pieces. Mix well.
  6. Add the salt and water. Mix. Let it come to a gentle boil.
  7. Add the yogurt and stir well. 
  8. Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve.
Tips: 
  • When you make rotlis, store the left over in the freezer. When you have a sufficient quantity, make a quick snack. 
  • Instead of chilli paste can use chopped chillis, about 1 or 2.
  • For a more creamier consistency, use more yogurt.
You may want to check out the following:
mum's soup
Sending this recipe for the following events:



cook with leftovers - Full Scoops and Cooks Joy



simply food



Pin It

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.