GenerosityWhat is generosity? Its readiness or liberality in giving, kind, amplitude. Any charity organization in the world depends on the generosity of the people. People can be generous by donating money, providing service or being a part of the support. Providing service to the needy and less fortunate costs money. Recently my Club, Lions Club of Mombasa Bahari, held a fundraising event. The committee organized a dinner and dance event. Music was provided by our local band Mombasa Roots and Voyager Beach Hotel helped in organizing this event and providing the entertainment. I think the hardest part was selling the tickets. Its so difficult to convince people to buy the tickets for a charity event.The event went well and was supported by many well wishers. However, not complaining too much as generosity has to come from the heart. While our Club does have a few ardent supporters, some feel that most of the charity organizations just splurge money in the name of charity. I guess one has to be part of and organization to know what actually goes on behind the scene.
Check out our Club's website to see what are doing. Our Club donates food and other goods to the needy, helps in educating the community, free medical camps, which includes plastic surgery for the needy (not cosmetic), breast cancer awareness.
Coming to today's recipe I made poha full of vegetables. You may have heard of kanda poha or bateta poha. Its usually served in India as a wholesome breakfast. However that does not mean you cannot serve it as a light dinner option or as a snack in between meals. Make it wholesome by adding loads of vegetables of your choice.Poha is flat, pressed or beaten rice. The rice is dehusked, parboiled and flattened.The flattened or pressed rice is dried. The flakes have rough edges and the thickness of the flakes depends on the pressure it was flattened. Thin poha, powa or chiura can be paper thin or thicker than a rice grain. Poha is used for making both sweet and savoury dishes. Its also used to to thicken gravies, bind patties or cutlets. Pohas are cooked in liquids like water, milk or cream or dry roasted or fried. Poha is easily available in most Indian stores.
Share your thoughts :
Do you support a charity organization?
1½ cups flattened rice or poha
1 cup peeled and diced potatoes
¼ cup boiled peas
¼ cup diced and boiled carrot
¼ cup diced onion
½ cup cooked sweet corn
1 tsp ginger paste
1-2 green chillis
2-3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (dhania)
2-3 tbsp chopped cashew nuts
2 tbsp raisins
2-3 tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp sugar
1½ tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
½ tsp mustard seeds (rai)
½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1 tbsp sesame seeds (tal)
¼ cup water
- Put the poha in a sieve and wash it under running water. Leave it in the sieve so that water can drain out.
- Heat oil in a wide pan over medium heat.
- When it is hot add mustard, cumin and sesame seeds.
- Add asafoetida.
- Immediately add chopped onion and stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add ginger and chillis and stir fry for just a few seconds.
- Add cashew nuts and raisins. Add potatoes, turmeric powder and a bit of salt from the measured salt.
- Add ¼ cup water. Mix well. Cover the pan and reduce the heat. Cook the potatoes till just done and not mushy.
- Add peas, carrot and corn. Mix.
- Add poha and salt and mix well.
- If the mixture is too dry splash a bit of water.
- Cover and let the mixture cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- The poha should be done and should not be hard.
- Add sugar, lemon juice and coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot poha with a slice of lemon and your favourite chutney.
- If you soak the poha in water it becomes mushy.
- You can prepare poha ahead and serve later. If you find that the mixture is too dry, sprinkle a bit of water, cover and heat the poha.
- Adjust the spices according to your taste.
- You can add boiled peanuts instead of cashew nuts.
- If you like you can add more poha or increase the amount of vegetables.
You may want to check out the following :
Sending this recipe to the following event :